Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Tithe of Time

Coach Jim today gave the best sermon I have ever heard on stewardship, tithing, and all things related. In his characteristic style, he was able to illuminate such a touchy subject without alienating segments of the audience - while at the same time being true to the biblical witness. That's my boy! His text was 1 Timothy 6:17-19 -
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
I have a theory that our Sabbath observance is also a tithe - of time. And, by extension, I believe that 7 hours and 12 minutes is a good night's sleep. Let me explain.

There are seven days in a week and 24 hours in each day. That makes 168 hours in a week. One-tenth (a "tithe") is 16.8 hours, or 16 hours and 48 minutes. That seems to be basically one "waking-hour" day. So there's your Sunday. And, conversely, the remaining time (7.2 hours, or 7 hours and 12 minutes), is devoted to sleep. That's what I've been using as a guide for the past few years, and it's been a blessing to me.

Time. Talent. Treasures. We're called to be good stewards of these. I want to continually ask myself: How am I doing with the Lord's tithe - and with my offerings?

No comments: