Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bottom of the Sixth

As we head into the seventh tomorrow, we'd like to welcome a new concessionaire to the Park - Bunnahabhain Whisky. Produced on the Isle of Islay (from whence also hail my other favorites, Bruichladdich and Laphroaig), Bunnahabhain means "mouth of the river". As their website describes the Bay of Bunnahabhain, "it is both picturesque and clement". Two qualities to be desired.

The funny thing is, I had always shied away from purchasing Bunnahabhain because the seafaring captain on the bottle planted in my mind that it might have a taste reminiscent of Old Spice. After one sip last night, I realized how wrong I had been.

It has that winey, briney, peaty flavor that all the Islay Scotches possess. It is milder than Lagavulin (or Laphroaig) but still lets you know that peat bogs have been visited. It is thoroughly enjoyable and we are pleased to offer it at the Park.

In Gaelic, the "bh" combination is pronouced like "v", and the "u" is like the short "oo" in "book", so I think it would be pronounced "Boo-na-hah-vn". But here's the slogan we'll be running on the scoreboard:

Bunnahabhain
Ask for it by name
(Yeah, right)

They tell me that focus-tested well, but I'm just not sure . . .

And with that, we bid you a pleasant evening.

No comments: