Friday, April 11, 2008

Loss of Yardage

Well, we were penalized about 20 yards. The best I can tell, the foul we commited was "Failing to have a building named after you" or maybe "Failure to be a large corporate donor". Anyway, we ended up about 20 yards and change north of where we used to be, probably on about the 25 yard line.

I think the thing that really smarts is that our seats had been in the same place for about 60 years. My dad and his friend, Sankey, bought season tickets when they came home from the war. And they were faithful fans (and let's face it, where TU is concerned, that ought to count for a lot) through all the lean years, though the years when you came just to hear the band, through the Keith Burns years - you name it, they were there.

But the whole algorithm for figuring out who got to pick seats first seemed - well, let's be charitable and just call it "outcome determinative". The way the various parameters were weighted (for example, we got credit for "years of attendance" - but only back through 1992 - why 1992?) smelled a little fishy from the start.

Money's important to a program, don't get me wrong. But 60 years of faithfulness ought to count for something.

So now I've got a claim on these new seats. Now I just need to decide if I really want them.

No comments: