Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Recycling at Its Best

Happy Earth Day! For a better way to celebrate April 22, however, remember the Land Run of 1889. Saddle up! For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Land Run of 1889 opened up the whole middle part of Oklahoma for settlement. Overnight, the towns of Guthrie and Oklahoma City came into being and, by dusk, they each had 10,000 inhabitants. Talk about environmental impact!

The terms "Sooner" and "Boomer" also came into being that day, with the "Sooners" jumping the gun. I never thought about it, but I guess all of us Baby Boomer Okies are actually Sooner Boomers!

And talkin' 'bout my generation, I do remember the first Earth Day in 1970. I was in the 10th grade and I rode my bicycle to school. Of course, the big fear back then was global cooling. Makes you wonder what they'll come up with as the next crisis.

As is often the case, Mark Steyn has written the definitive column about Earth Day. It originally appeared in The Daily Telegraph in 2004 and it is now recycled gold. I hope you enjoy it and we'll see you tomorrow.

No comments: