Monday, April 14, 2008

On the Training Table

Coach Jim and I met each other at the grocery store yesterday. We're both getting serious about "Spring Training" and so we decided to be each other's accountability partner. Official weigh-ins were last night (the scales must be broken!) Or, as Coach said, "You know it's time to get serious when you get on the scales and they say, 'One at a time, please.'"

We both have been doing really well exercising and I think we both want to watch our food intake. Unfortunately, gone are the days when we could just cut out a serving of potatoes once a week and the pounds would magically disappear. So, today we start in earnest.

More vegetables, more fruits, less fats, less sugars. I seem to do better if I cut my carbohydrate intake, but this time around I'm going to try just eating whole-grains rather than a hard-line Atkins approach.

I showed Coach my favorite oatmeal: "Scottish Oatmeal" from Bob's Red Mill. I had never thought of it before, but Coach Jim wondered if the oats really were from Scotland, as the name is "Scottish Oatmeal" and not "Scottish-style Oatmeal" - kind of like how things now have to be called "Canadian-style bacon" and "Nilla wafers". On the other hand, how does Cream Cheese still get to be "Philadelphia"? I don't think the factory is necessarily in the City of Brotherly Love.

Anyway, Bob's oatmeal is great stuff, and he looks very jaunty with his tam o'shanter on the label. Give it a try. And keep Coach and me in your prayers.




No comments: