Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Imagine

A note from Fireplug Doug: When I began this Lenten blog, my brother, Fuelgrip Skip, asked if he could post something from time to time. Skip is my “evil twin”, as I “affectionately” call “him”. Our family thinks the difference in personalities has to do with that old poem: I was born on a Friday and so am “loving and giving” (or so they say). My twin brother is a “Wednesday’s child” and is “full of woe”. (It was an even longer labor than you might think: I’m the older one). So Skip will write the blog on “Full of Woe Wednesdays” where he’ll take apart some of his least favorite songs. I call him my “hit man of the hit parade”. Don’t say you haven’t been warned!

Imagine
by John Lennon

Let’s get this one out of the way early. If there was an award for “least favorite song of all time”, Imagine would get my vote. Now, I know there might be some drug-induced, nihilism-promoting, buzz-saw accompanied punk idyll; or some violent, misogynist, rap monstrosity; or some twangy, country “we’re cheatin’ and it’s all right” song that is more deserving of the title – but I don’t listen to any of those. However, I have had to endure Imagine for 30 years now – in elevators, during award shows or retrospectives, and (for the life of me I can’t understand this) every time we suffer some national tragedy – makes you long for Kum Ba Yah. What John Lennon manages to do in a mere 3:04 – and in the context of a “mainstream” recording – is nothing short of stunning.

And it’s not just the words. Let’s start with the title. I don’t like people telling me what to do, and “imagine”, for all its airy, touchy-feely aspects, is a command. I wonder if the German version of the song has the exclamation mark required of an imperative in that language: Einbilde! Then, the piano starts. It’s that simplistic, rocking back and forth structure that always reminds me of some kid who’s learned two chords and now monopolizes the piano with them every time someone has forgotten to shut the lid to the keyboard. You can excuse that behavior in an adolescent, but in a 20th Century popular music icon? And then, there’s the whole production value of the piece. Who was Mr Lennon’s producer? It always sounds like he’s being recorded underwater. If the Bee Gees also recorded at the same studio, I have this theory that someday, we’re going to find out that there was actually a short in the mixing board.

As you can see, the song has already ticked me off, and Mr Lennon hasn’t even opened his mouth yet. But then he does:

Imagine there’s no Heaven, it’s easy if you try

Well, speak for yourself, sir. I find that extremely difficult to do and, frankly, not something that is worth the effort. Because the point of all this imagining seems to be to get us to the last line in the first verse:

Imagine all the people living for today

With all due respect, Mr Lennon, I don’t have to imagine that at all. All I have to do is look around me – that’s the world we live in. We’re engulfed in a culture devoid of a sense of history, devoid of a sense of community, devoid of “a future and a hope” promised in Jeremiah 29:11. No, the really brave, creative imagining would be to imagine all the people living for something more than just today, something bigger than themselves.

The song goes on, each verse taxing the limits of our imaginative sensibilities. By the time we get to verse three, we’re confronted with a smugness that is a trademark of Mr Lennon specifically and our generation generally:

Imagine no possessions: I wonder if you can

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence! It reminds me of the flippant superiority of Give Peace a Chance. I want to say, “Wow. Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks, John!” And while we’re on the subject, let’s ask all the people under the Soviets, the Nazis, the Khmer Rouge, Castro, Ceaucescu and Kim Jong Il: how did those godless, possessionless utopias work out for y’all?

My brother somewhat begged me to not be totally negative in my post but to try to come up with something nice to say about Mr Lennon. I’m going to surprise him, because I actually have two nice things to say. First, I remember watching a tape of an old press conference with Paul McCartney and John Lennon. The press asked them how they managed to sit down and write all the songs they did. Mr Lennon said, “It’s simple. First, we sit down. Then, we write the songs.” Now, I admit that it sounds like something Bill Belichick might say (“Coach Belichick: how do you go out and win all those games?” “Simple. First, we go out. Then, we win the games.”), and if he did, it would grate on me severely, but I found Mr Lennon’s response refreshing. It told me that he appreciated the fact that songwriting is also a job – kind of that “Eighty percent of life is just showing up” attitude.


Second, while I don’t care for most of Mr Lennon’s songs written untethered from Mr McCartney (could you tell?), one of his final works is actually one of my favorite songs. It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow and I’m sure my brother will pick some silly love song (if not actually Mr McCartney’s Silly Love Songs), but my vote is for Mr Lennon’s Woman:

Woman please let me explain
I never meant to cause you sorrow or pain
So let me tell you again and again and again
I love you, yeah, yeah
Now and forever

Great work, John. Requiem in pacem.

But as for Imagine, my hope is that someday it will fade from memory and we can move on to greater uses of our imaginations; maybe to "try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord (Ephesians 5:10)". Hey –

You may say that I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one . . .

3 comments:

Matt Savage said...

Doug -- I really admire your discipline and commitment and have truly enjoyed reading your posts. AND...nice, after all these decades, to finally meet your brother.

Fuelgrip -- An alternative view is that you miss the point entirely of 'Imagine.' It's a song about unity, about all people living undivided by sects, property, creed or color. In that regard, one could interpret it as an ecumenical anthem. If one were so inclined.

We sane and honest folks have to admit that organized religion has not always been a purveyor of peace. In fact, it's been downright divisive and deadly. I would hazard a guess that the 'my God is better than your God' discussion has killed more people than all the world's diseases combined. I can imagine a world without that kind of "love," can't you?

(And by the way, I'd be curious to know your church affiliation, given your stated aversion to 'being commanded.' There are, of course, the Big 10. But aren't most churches fairly directive as to how you should think and act, including the dollars you send their way?)

Fuelgrip, my friend, reconsider some of Lennon's lyrics, and I think you'll hear more of Christ talking than you might have imagined. (Sorry.)

Doesn't "Imagine no possessions" roughly equate to Luke 18:25, where Christ says it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a wealthy man to reach heaven?

And maybe "Imagine all the people, sharing all the world" evokes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Now, I grant you that neither Paul nor John were as strong apart as they were together. And Lennon certainly plays piano like a guitarist. But I think John was preaching some fairly lofty, even Lent-worthy advice in Imagine. Anyway, it sure beats Band on the Run.

Fireplug said...

Fuelgrip Skip responds to “matt”:

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking the time to put together your thoughts. I know you to be a decent man, as well as well-spoken. And I do appreciate your comment wondering about my ability to submit to authority. I should have made it clear that it rankles me when a singer behaving in a smug, self-righteous manner tell sme what to do. If we’re honest, though, there’s that spirit of rebellion against God’s authority that’s in all of us and it’s been around since the second chapter of Genesis, so maybe my original statement was closer to the mark.

I stand by everything else I wrote, though. I will not recant. Let me try to explain further.

I do not deny that verses two and three contain specific Christian exhortations about sharing and peace, but – because Mr Lennon has already lead off in verse one about there being no heaven or hell, that all there is is us, and that we should all just live for today – I think what follows is more along the lines of the old adage, “even a stopped clock is right twice a day.”

I think a quick scan of Mr Lennon’s other works supports that he writes more in the style of a newspaper reporter (most important thing first) than in the “stinger” style of a Harry Chapin or an O Henry. For example, we know from the very first line of another song that “all he is saying” is to “give peace a chance.” We know (again from my favorite Lennon piece) that he is apologizing to his “woman” because he can “hardly express my mixed emotion at my thoughtlessness” – although actually, I think he does a great job at expressing it in that song. We also know, instantly, what Instant Karma is gonna do (i.e., it’s “gonna get you.”) So, when he leads off with “imagine there’s no Heaven”, I take him at his word, and know that everything that follows is going to support that first thought. If you’ll forgive my saying so, I believe that, even though I have huge problems with the song, I am at least giving Mr Lennon more credit than the imaginophiles who are contorting what he is saying into something that, in my opinion, he is not. [By the way, as an excellent example of the “stinger” style of writing, I would definitely recommend Ernest Hemingway’s short story The Short, Happy Life of Frances Macomber. Sorry for the digression.]

As I alluded to earlier, if verses two and three existed without verse one, I don’t think I’d have a problem with the song (well, except for the piano part and the condescension.) But I find it hard to believe that Mr Lennon has just thrown overboard the hope of Heaven in verse one and now he wants us to take as literal a bit of hyperbole that Jesus used to effectively make a point about the rightful place of possessions.

And then, in verse three, we are to imagine no countries or religions. I totally agree with you that, in the past, there have been terrible atrocities committed in the name of religion. But I also see a Church that, even when it got some things wrong, was still out there founding hospitals and orphanages, was battling slavery, was at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement, and is still moving today along those same themes. And while the body count over the last several millennia is high from religious battles, I would just ask you to consider the horrific death toll, in just the last century, racked up by the atheistic regimes when they take God out of the picture. As people used to say: six million here, a hundred million there; pretty soon you’re talking big numbers.

Again, thank you for your words. I just think that a better use of our imaginations is to take Jesus’ words – that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life – and to try to come up with creative ways to share that with others – not to thump people over the head with it but rather to offer it as a life-saving prescription that we would be remiss in keeping to ourselves.

Matt Savage said...

You win. I don't have that many words left.

:-)